"Kane is Able, Scores Career-First Saturday at Winchester"
"Corbin Rolls to 10th Pure Stock Victory"
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- Glen Burnie Md.'s Bruce Kane drove a masterful race to take top-honors in last Saturday nights "Thunder in October" small car nationals Limited Late Model event at Winchester speedway. The win for Kane, worth $2000, was his first-career victory at Winchester and made him the divisions seventh-different winner of the season.
Andy Anderson and Bruce Kane shared the front-row for the start of the event with Kane surging into the race lead as the pack raced into turn-one. Kane would go on to lead the distance, but it was no easy trip to victory lane. Eventual runner-up Andy Anderson hounded Kane over the entire 30-lap grind, pulling along side Kane more than once, but was unable to make the pass as Kane sped-off to score the break-through win. "I wasn't even sure if we were going to make it to the track this weekend." Kane stated in his post-race interview. "Six-o'clock Thursday afternoon the engine in this car was in pieces back at the shop and I cant thank Bobby Tipton and all the people who helped get this thing back together." Slick, but racy, track conditions aided in Kane's winning run. "Our car was good all weekend." Said Kane. "The track really came to us tonight and to hold off a guy like Andy Anderson, who's so good here at Winchester, I couldn't be more proud to finally get a win for the crew and all the sponsors." Eighth-starting Scott Palmer was third, tenth-starter James Lichliter took fourth with Travis Stickley rounding out the top-five. Heats for the 30-cars on hand went to Anderson, Kane and Stickley with Rick Hulson winning the consolation.
Mike Corbin continued his domination of the Pure Stock ranks as he collected his 10th feature win of the season in the divisions 35-lap feature. Corbin, who lined up 2nd for the start, blasted into the race lead on lap-one and would then survive the repeated advances from eventual runner-up Bill Henney to score the win. The win for Corbin, worth $2000, was his second "nationals" win of the season as he was the winner of Hagesrtown Md.'s event back on September 14th. "To win one of these national races is special, and to have now won two in one season, it's amazing." Corbin stated. "I knew Henney was back there." Corbin quipped. "He's pretty good when he comes down here and I knew if I made a mistake, he'd get me, but once again this car was perfect and I owe it all to Ernie Davis, Roy Anderson and all the people who help with this thing." Mike Franklin was third, Jamey Swank took fourth with Stephen Quade completing the top-five. Heats for the 37-car field went to Franklin, Henney, Keith Koontz and Corbin with Doug Bennett and Charles Wyant winning twin consolations.
Cody Kershner also became a first-time Winchester winner with his win in the 35-lap Four-Cylinder main. Kershner started on the pole and would go on to lead all 35-laps to score the $2000 win. 2013 Winchester track champion Ed Gageby came home second, Kevin Thomas was third, 19th-starting Roger Whitlock collected fourth with Gary Newell rounding out the top-five. Heats for the 28-car field went to Rich Gwizdale, Frankie Gordon and Kershner with Roger Whitlock winning the consolation.
Dustin Proctor scored his second Winchester win of the season in the 30-lap Enduro Stock feature. Brian Neff was the early leader before Proctor swept by to take the lead for good on lap-4. Proctor would then fend off the challenges of "Krazy" Kenny Thomas, before Thomas succumbed to mechanical issues, to score the win, his first since opening day. Neff would take second, Danny Holmes was third, Paul Jones fourth with David Green filling the front-five. Heats went to Holmes and Neff.
Kevin Oates (Friday) and Alan Dice (Saturday) scored U-Car wins. Oates win on Friday came over Mark Pollard, Gene Wilson, Alan Dice and Jason Wilkins. Saturday's main saw Dice taking the win over Billy Hill, Gene Wilson, Steve Fadeley and Michael Pfaff.
Limited Late Model feature finish
1. Bruce Kane 2. Andy Anderson 3. Scott Palmer 4. James Lichliter 5. Travis Stickley 6. Kris Holliday 7. Kyle Lee 8. Justin Weaver 9. Paul Cursey 10. Michael Walls 11. Jonathon DeHaven 12. Billy Farmer 13. Keith Walls 14. Leon Lloyd 15. Tyler Emory 16. Chad Myers 17. Rick Hulson 18. Kyle Lear 19. Rodney Walls 20. Mitch Miller 21. Jason Smith 22. Jimmy Jessmer Jr. 23. Dave Friederich 24. Bubby Tharp Jr. DNQ- Ernie Shirley, Zach Vance, Jimmy Richards, Kevin Deremer, Tommy Armel DNS- Will Rowe
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Mike Corbin 2. Bill Henney 3. Mike Franklin 4. Jamey Swank 5. Stephen Quade 6. Pat Hanley 7. Charles Wyant 8. Keith Koontz 9. Kyle Nelson 10. David Kaiser 11. Ricky Edmonds 12. Mike Desch 13. Eric Johnson 14. Terry Staton 15. Josh Wilkins 16. Craig Parrill 17. Greg Diehl 18. Scotty Nelson 19. Bryan Kerns 20. Doug Bennet 21. Johnny Oliver 22. Barry Williams 23. Michael Carter 24. Jimmy Combs DNQ- Bob Gladden, Troy Kassiris, Darrin Younker, Bill Pifer, Josh Mullenax, Wayne Hawbaker, Kevin Koontz, Bob Egley, Carl Biddle, Brian Luttrell, Josh Williams, Mike Raleigh, Brandon Churchey
Four Cylinder feature finish
1. Cody Kershner 2. Ed Gageby 3. Kevin Thomas 4. Roger Whitlock 5. Gary Newell 6. Billy Sonner 7. Kurt Knepper 8. Justin Hottle 9. Bill Kessler 10. Ethan Ours 11. Ronnie Buck 12. Michael Warrenfeltz 13. Rich Newcomer 14. Mike Hawbaker 15. Austin Stover 16. Jesse Boyce 17. Lester Riley 18. Allen Whitt Jr. 19. Frank Gordon 20. Frankie Gordon 21. William Riley 22. Matt Williamson 23. Randy Linaburg 24. Rich Gwizdale DNQ- Randy Murphy, Duece Wright, Randy Jones. DNS- Ryan Laye
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. Dustin Proctor 2. Brian Neff 3. Danny Holmes 4. Paul Jones 5. David Green 6. Daniel Bowden 7. Brian Wallace 8. RT Troutman 9. Robert Plaugher Sr. 10. "Krazy" Kenny Thomas 11. Gary Proctor 12. Ray Priest 13. Rodney Minor 14. Jim DeArmitt
U-Car feature finish (Friday)
1. Kevin Oates 2. Mark Pollard 3. Gene Wilson 4. Alan Dice 5. Jason Wilkins 6. Steve Fadeley 7. Billy Hill 8. Erica Bailey 9. Jeff Wilkins 10. Michael Pfaff 11. Austin Nichols 12. Kevin Pollard 13. Tracy Ryder 14. Robert Perry 15. Allen Grimmet 16. Robert Wilson
U-Car feature finish (Saturday)
1. Alan Dice 2. Billy Hill 3. Gene Wilson 4. Steve Fadeley 5. Michael Pfaff 6. Jeff Wilkins 7. Robert Perry 8. Austin Nichols 9. Jason Wilkins 10. Nolan Clark 11. Kevin Pollard 12. Robert Wilson 13. Ricky Runion 14. Mark Pollard DQ 15. Kevin Oates DQ