"Defending Champ Bonebrake Scores Winchester First"
"Brannon Finds Victory Lane in RUSH Crates"
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- defending track champion Wesley Bonebrake rolled to his first win of the season in last Saturday nights 20-lap Limited Late Model feature at Winchester Speedway. The win for Bonebrake, aboard his Mark and Fran Wright owned Rocket no.37F, was his first feature win at the track since 2015.
Scott Merryman and Bonebrake earned front row starting spots for the start of the event with Bonebrake surging into the race lead as the mob roared into turn one. As Bonebrake lead, the runner-up spot was shared by three drivers before 7th starting Rance Garlock secured the spot for good on the 12th circuit. Garlock pulled alongside Bonebrake on more than one occasion, but the third generation driver was up to the challenge and would take the popular win by six car lengths at the finish. "I have to thank Mark and Fran Wright for the win here tonight." Bonebrake stated post race. "They own this car and they have been with us for quite a while and to get them a win tonight is pretty special." Bonebrake's outside front row starting spot for the feature was key to his winning drive. "Starting spot is so important these day's." Bonebrake stated. "We don't usually get many chance to start up front so we had to take advantage of it tonight." Jonathan deHaven was third, Dave Friedrich took fourth with 12th starting Justin Weaver rounding out the top-five. Heats went to DeHaven and Dillon Stake.
Veteran Allen Brannon collected his first win of the season in the companion 20-lap RUSH Crate Late Model main. Brannon, who lined up 6th for the start, wrestled the top spot from Darin Henderson on the 11th lap and would control the remaining 9 circuits to take the win steering his BRC Lazer no.30. "I'd like to dedicate this win to my uncle Chuck Brannon." The happy winner stated. "Today is his 88th birthday and this win is for him tonight." Superior track conditions aided in Brannon's winning drive. "This place was real racy tonight." Said Brannon. "It was a little slick, but you could race all over and things worked out good for us tonight." Henderson held tough for second with Jason Knowells, Eric Wilson and 11th starting Transtan Stoner completing the top-five. Heats went to Logan Roberson and Mike Franklin.
In support class action defending track champion Chris Sumption drove to his second win of the season in the 15-lap Pure Stock feature, Ricky Feltner took his first of 2017 in the 15-lap Enduro Stock event with Jason Wilkins winning for the second time this season in the nightcap 15-lap U-Car feature.
Limited Late Model feature finish
1. Wesley Bonebrake 2. Rance Garlock 3. Jonathan DeHaven 4. Dave Friedrich 5. Justin Weaver 6. Scott Merryman 7. Buddy Wilson 8. Dillon Stake 9. Bruce Kane 10. Jake Moser 11. Jeff Koller 12. Justin Dillman 13. Kyle Moser 14. Mark Bailey 15. John Moser 16. Cody Lipscomb 17. Kris Holliday 18. Justin Steele (DNS)
RUSH Crate Late Model feature finish
1. Allen Brannon 2.Darin Henderson 3. Jason Knowells 4. Eric Wilson 5. Transtan Stoner 6. Devin Brannon 7. Bryan Benton 8. Jacob Piper 9. Richard Hawkins 10. Scott Sweeney 11. Zach Price 12. Levi Crowl 13. Tom Pizzorro 14. Greg Beach 15. Mike Franklin 16. Harry Shipe III 17. Logan Roberson 18. Dillon Stake 19. Steve Lowery 20. Jennae Piper (DNS)
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Chris Sumption 2. Rob Nichols 3. Ethan Ours 4. Sam Crouch 5. Jeremy Tinsman 6. Tony Catlett
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. Ricky Feltner 2. Dylan Rutherford 3. Tom Caravello 4. Mark Vegh 5. Paul Jones 6. Kevin Lee 7. Dalton Dillman 8. Chet Morris 9. Charles Nobitt 10. Greg Breeden 11. Allen Jones
U-Car feature finish
1. Jason Wilkins 2. Justin Bowley 3. Gene Wilson 4. Jacob Lewis 5. Jeff Wilkins 6. Randy Wilkins 7. Chad Brill 8. TJ Collins 9. Larry Lamb 10.Terry Kave 11. Kevin Woodward 12. Mike Griffith 13. Terry Hefflin 14. Allen Griffith 15. Richard Bowmen 16. Austin Nichols 17. Branson Woodward 18. Chuckie Johnson