“Spence Delivers, Scores Winchester First for New Car Owner”
“Kaiser Flag-to-Flag in Pure Stock Main”
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- In quite a dominating performance, Winchester Va.’s JT Spence, collected his first Winchester Late Model feature win of the season and his first for new car owner Greg Gunter. With his win in last Saturday nights 30-lap feature, worth $2000, Spence became the third different Late Model winner in the three-week old season.
The heads-up start placed Spence and Brad Omps on the front-row for the start of the event. Utilizing the outside line, Omps darted into the early race lead by the completion of the first circuit. As Omps lead, Spence settled into second and set his sights on Omps. Spence found the inside of the speedway to his liking as he took the lead from Omps on lap-9. Spence lead easily through the middle stages of the event, however a lap-26 caution, set the stage for another dramatic Winchester finish. When the green flag was displayed to re-start the event Spence had last weeks winner Gary Stuhler in his tire tracks over the remaining 5-circuits, however, Spence was up to the challenge and would take the win by four car-lengths at the checker. “Mr. Gunter contacted me over the winter about driving his car this season and I can’t thank him enough for the opportunity.” Spence stated in Winchester’s victory lane. “We’ve been close this season so far, and I’m just real happy to be able to get a win for him and for all the people who make this deal happen.” The lap-26 caution put one of Late Model racings all-time greats on his back bumper. “I tell you what, I’d rather have Gary (Stuhler) chasing me than me chasing him.” Said Spence. “I thought we had a shot to beat him here last week, but finished second, and I knew on that re-start I had to be up on my toes because Gary is still in my mind one of the best drivers around.” DJ Myers came home third, Roy Deese Jr. was fourth with opening day winner Mark Pettyjohn, who came from 24th after a first-lap spin, rounded out the top-five. Heats for the 32-cars entered went to Jason Miller, Omps and Spence with Mark Pettyjohn winning the consolation.
In quite dominant fashion, David Kaiser lead wire-to-wire, to collect his first win of the season in the 15-lap Pure Stock feature. Kaiser started on the pole for the event and ran off and hid as he would lead all 15-laps eventually taking the win by a straightaway over Mike Grady Jr. Defending track champion Mike Franklin was third, Buddy Wilson was fourth with Michael Carter filling the front five. Heats for the 15 cars went to Franklin and Kaiser.
Eric Heath was the winner of the 15-lap Mason Dixon Micro Sprint series event. Heath, who started second, chased early leader Michael Boer for the first 6-laps before he would slide into the race lead on lap-7. Heath would then drive unchallenged to take the win over eventual runner-up Steven Cox. Boer held on for third, Brent Bull was fourth with Chris Kennedy rounding out the top-five. Heats for the 14 entries went to Bull and Chris Kennedy.
The Crate Late Models made their first appearance of the season with Limited Late Model standout Jonathon DeHaven scoring the win. DeHaven started on the pole and would easily out-distanced the remainder of the field to take the win. Darin Henderson was second, John Imler third, Tommy Whitt was fourth with Jennae Piper taking fifth.
In the nightcap 15-lap U-Car main it was Mark Pollard scoring his first-career Winchester feature win. Pollard snared the race lead from Brenda Alexander on lap-8 and would lead the final 7-laps to post the win. Alexander held on for second, Tom Paddock was third, Robert Perry fourth with Jeff Budwash rounding out the top-five. Heats for the 29 entries went to Jason Wilkins, Michael Pfaff and Alexander.
Late Model feature finish
1. JT Spence 2. Gary Stuhler 3. DJ Myers 4. Roy Deese Jr. 5. Mark Pettyjohn 6. Keith Jackson 7. Wesley Bonebrake 8. Denny Bonebrake 9. David Williams 10. Lindsay Barton 11. Jason Miller 12. Trever Feathers 13. Kyle Hardy 14. Pancho Lawler 15. Tyler Castle 16. Brad Omps 17. Greg Roberson 18. Devin Friese 19. Bo Feathers 20. Tommy Armel 21. Scott LeBarron 22. Tyler Hershey 23. Chaz Walls 24. Dale Hollidge DNQ- Brian Tavenner, Brian Booze, Tony Crim, Greg Elrod, Jimmy Richards, Don Woodruff, Kenny Moreland, Bubby Tharp Jr.
Pure Stock feature finish
1. David Kaiser 2. Mike Grady Jr. 3. Mike Franklin 4. Buddy Wilson 5. Michael Carter 6. Craig Parrill 7. Bob Gladden 8. Mike Corbin 9. Dickie Tharp 10. Terry Staton 11. Josh Wilkins 12. Greg Breeden 13. Stuart Wells 14. Brian Luttrell 15. Eddie McClellan
Micro Sprint feature finish
1. Eric Heath 2. Steven Cox 3. Michael Boer 4. Brent Bull 5. Chris Kennedy 6. Mike Ertter 7. Brian Marriott 8. Bill Laughman 9. Broc Lawrence 10. Steve Bull 11. Robbie Watson 12. John Horton 13. Charles Ford 14. Misti Kopp
Crate Late Model feature finish
1. Jonathon DeHaven 2. Darin Henderson 3. John Imler 4. Tommy Whitt 5. Jennae Piper
U-Car feature finish
1. Mark Pollard 2. Brenda Alexander 3. Tom Paddock 4. Robert Perry 5. Jeff Budwash 6. Alan Dice 7. Larry Lamb 8. Steve Fadeley 9. Michael Webb 10. Travis Clark 11. Gary Wilson 12. Jeff Wilkins 13. Allen Jones 14. Jacob Lewis 15. Ronnie Bolstridge 16. Randy Wilkins 17. Joe Yablonski 18. Dwayne Pierson 19. Samantha Thompson 20. Mickey Payne 21. Michael Pfaff 22. Austin Nichols 23. Justin Katz 24. Jason Wilkins 25. Ricky Runion 26. Josh Walker 27. Wesley Hepner 28. Steve Katz 29. Terry Leach (DNS)