"Spence ends Winchester Win Streak at Six, With Saturday Late Model Score"
"Henderson Two for Three in RUSH Crates"
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- Defending Late Model track champion JT Spence became the first repeat winner of the 2015 season with his win in last Saturday nights 35-lap Late Model feature at Winchester Speedway. The win for Spence, worth $3000, broke the string of six different winners in six Winchester events and was his his third overall feature triumph of the season.
Dale Hollidge and Spence earned front-row starting spots for the start of the event with Hollidge assuming control as the field raced down the backstretch. Hollidge would lead only one lap before Spence blew by to take the race lead for good on the second circuit. As Spence lead sixth starting Jason Covert arrived in second on lap ten and the two went at it. A lap-33 caution set the stage for another dramatic finish as Covert pulled alongside Spence as the duo charged off turn two, but Spence had his car working to perfection and would take the win over Dale Hollidge who rallied late for runner-up honors. "We had a great race car tonight." Spence stated in the Winchester victory lane. "We've been battling with this car just about every race here it seems like, but it was the best it's been all season tonight." The lap-33 caution made Spence get upon the wheel over the final two-laps. "I knew Jason (Covert) was going to dive bomb me going into one on the re-start." Said Spence. "We rubbed fenders a bit because my car wouldn't fire the way I wanted it to on those re-start's but we were able to get the job done." Covert held on for third, Ross Robinson took fourth with Andy Fries rounding out the top-five. Heats for the 22 cars entered went to Spence, Hollidge and Covert.
Darin Henderson scored his second win, in three Winchester events, in the 20-lap RUSH Crate Late Model event. Pole-sitter Transton Stoner darted into the early lead and appeared poised to collect his first-ever Winchester feature win as he got out to a healthy lead. As Stoner paced the field fifth-starting Henderson made his way to second by the 13th lap and went after Stoner. Henderson took the top-spot on lap 16, but the race was far from over. Over the final four circuits Henderson and Stoner swapped the lead back and forth with Henderson nipping Stoner at the line for the hard fought win. "I wasn't going to go down with a fight." Henderson stated after his victory. "Transton ran a great race and I knew he wasn't going to give up." Said Henderson. "We raced pretty close those last few laps and to get a win here tonight the way we did is just awesome." Rick Singleton came home third. Kris Eaton was fourth with Logan Roberson completing the top-five. Heats for the 20 car field went to Henderson and Singleton.
In support class action defending track champion Mike Franklin rolled to his 7th win of 2015 in the 15-lap Pure Stock feature, Ethan Ours scored his first-career Winchester feature win in the 15-lap Four-Cylinder main, Dylan Rutherford made it four-wins in five starts with his win in the 15-lap Enduro Stock feature and Matt Brown strolled to his third consecutive Lawn Mower win.
Late Model feature finish
1. JT Spence 2. Dale Hollidge 3. Jason Covert 4. Ross Robinson 5. Andy Fries 6. Kenny Moreland 7. Amanda Whaley 8. Chris Fletcher 9. Tom Decker Jr. 10. Les Hare 11. Walter Crouch 12. Jacob Burdette 13. Tom Decker III 14. Mike Steck 15. Carl Grady 16. Jimmy Richards 17. David Watt 18. Ronnie DeHaven Jr. 19. Justin Steele 20. Dallas Richards 21. Greg Elrod 22. Tyler Horst
RUSH Crate Late Model feature finish
1. Darin Henderson 2. Transton Stoner 3. Rick Singleton 4. Kris Eaton 5. Logan Roberson 6. Matt Glanden 7. Jonathan DeHaven 8. Rob Nichols 9. Timmy Booth 10. John Imler 11. Reese Masiello 12. Scott Merryman 13. Dave Friedrich 14.Jennae Piper 15. Matt Tarbox 16. Harry Shipe 17. Scott Sweeney 18. Walter Nichols 19. Travis Carroll 20. Tom Pizzuro
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Mike Franklin 2. Josh Wilkins 3. Jerry Jenkins Jr. 4. Jeremy Tinsman 5.Tony Catlett 6. Chris Sumption 7. Craig Parrill DQ 8. Sam Crouch DQ
Four-Cylinder feature finish
1. Ethan Ours 2. Randy Linaburg 3. Justin Hottle 4. Austin Stover 5. Allen Whitt Jr. 6. Ed Gageby 7. Roger Whitlock 8. Michael Pfaff 9. Rich Newcomer 10. Jesse Boyce 11. Mackenzie Kimble 12. Rich Gwizdale 13.Tommy Whitt
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. Dylan Rutherford 2. Tyler Gray 3. Paul Jones 4. Dalton Dillman 5. Allen Jones 6. Rodney Miner 7. Jonsey Jones