"Brannon Banks $6000 in Winchester RUSH Late Model Main"
"Max Blair and Jared Hawkins Friday Twin-20 Victors"
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- It was a big night for former Late Model track Champion Allan Brannon last Saturday night at Winchester Speedway. Aboard his Penske Racing Shocks, BRC Lazer no.30, Brannon drove to the win in the 50-lap RUSH Dirt Late Model Series "Crate Racin' USA" Late Model Nationals. The win for Brannon, worth a hefty $6000 winners check, was the veteran chauffeurs first ever Crate Late Model feature win and first with the RUSH Dirt Late Model Series.
Friday's 20-lap qualifying event winners Jared Hawkins and Max Blair made up the front row for the start of Saturday's A-Main with Hawkins snaring the race lead as the field raced off turn two. As Hawkins lead seventh starting Allan Brannon made his way to second by the third lap and went after Hawkins. Brannon found the bottom of the speedway to his liking and drove past Hawkins to become the new race leader on the fourth circuit. Brannon would then go on to lead the remainder of the event to score the win over Robbie Blair. "It was a hot one out there tonight." A jubilant Brannon stated in victory lane. "It took me just about all weekend to get used to this crate motor." Brannon explained. "These things have a lot less horse power than the Late Model cars I'm used to driving, but Mr. Gunter had this track in great shape tonight and the track came to us." Brannon dedicated, arguably the biggest win of his career, to a fallen family member. "I'd like to dedicate this win to my father who passed not long ago." Brannon stated. "All the years we've raced he never missed one and it's tough not having him here anymore, but I'm pretty sure he was up there watching us tonight." Hawkins settled for third, Jonathan DeHaven rallied from an early race spin to take fourth with John Waters rounding out the top-five. Max Blair and Jared Hawkins won Friday's $1000 to win 20 lap qualifying events over the 40-car field with Saturday B-Main's going to Matt Tarbox and Steve Lowery.
Saturday's event also featured a 20-lap, $1500 to win, Non-Qualifiers event with John Imler scoring the win over Logan Roberson. Saturday support class action saw Richard Gwizdale score his first win of the season in the 25-lap "Mark Digges Memorial" for the Four Cylinders with Jason Wilkins notching his second U-Car win.
Friday support class action found Keith Koontz collecting his first win of the season and second of his career in the 15-lap Pure Stock main with current point leader Dylan Rutherford racing to his fifth of the season in the nightcap 15-lap Enduro Stock feature.
RUSH Late Model feature finish (50-laps)
1. Allan Brannon 2. Robbie Blair 3. Jared Hawkins 4.Jonathan DeHaven 5. John Waters 6. Brian Knowles 7.Robby Marhefka 8. Jason Knowles 9. Darin Henderson 10. Daryl Charlier 11. Michael Lake 12. Steve Lowery 13. Jennae Piper 14.Troy Sheilds 15. Dustin Waters 16. Jeff Pilkerton 17. Reese Masiello 18. Jamie Sutphin 19. Scott Sweeney 20. Matt Tarbox 21. Tyler Bare 22. Clinton Hersh 23. Ben Bowie 24. Max Blair 25.Joe Martin
RUSH Qualifier no. 1 (20-laps top-10 transfer to A-Main)
1. Jared Hawkins 2. Robbie Blair 3. Ben Bowie 4. Allan Brannon 5. Darin Henderson 6. Jonathan DeHaven 7. Daryl Charlier 8. Dustin Waters 9. Jamie Sutphin 10. Scott Sweeney 11. Timmy Booth 12. Matt Tarbox 13. Eric Wilson 14. Rob Nichols 15. Jared Powell 16. Zach Kane 17. Transton Stoner 18. Jason Knowles 19. John Imler 20. Richard Hawkins
RUSH Qualifier no.2 (20-laps top-10 transfer to A-Main)
1. Max Blair 2.John waters 3. Michael Lake 4. Clinton Hersh 5. Tyler Bare 6. Robby Marhefka 7. Troy Shields 8.Jennea Piper 9. Jeff Pilkerton 10. Reese Masiello 11.David Reynolds 12. Ryan Montgomery 13. Brian Knowles 14. Steve Lowery 15. Dylan Lewis 16. Kris Eaton 17. Joe Martin 18. Michael Duritsky 19. Logan Roberson 20. Harry Shipe
RUSH Non-Qualifiers feature (20-laps)
1.John Imler 2. Logan Roberson 3. Ryan Montgomery 4.Timmy Booth 5. Michael Duritsky 6. Dave Friedrich 7.Kris Eaton 8. Richard Hawkins 9. Dylan Lewis 10. Zach Kane 11.David Reynolds DNS- Harry Shipe, Transton Stoner, Jared Powell, Rob Nichols, Eric Wilson
Pure Stock feature finish (Friday)
1. Keith Koontz 2.Brian Luttrell 3. Tony Catlett 4.Jerry Jenkins Jr. 5.Mike Franklin 6. Mike Raleigh 7.Chris Sumption 8. Chuck Bowie 9.Jeremy Tinsman 10.Brian Swiger 11. Josh Wilkins
Enduro Stock feature finish (Friday)
1. Dylan Rutherford 2. Allen Jones 3. Tyler Gray 4. Mark Vegh 5.Ray Priest 6. Rodney Miner 7. Dalton Dillman 8.Paul Jones
Four Cylinder feature finish (Saturday)
1. Rich Gwizdale 2.Allen Whitt Jr. 3. Ed Gageby 4. Austin Stover 5.Roger Whitlock 6. Rich Newcomer 7. Jesse Boyce 8. Justin Hottle 9. Ethan Ours 10. Allen Vaughan 11. William Kessler 12.Tommy Whitt 13. William Riley 14. Randy Linaburg (DQ)
U-Car feature finish (Saturday)
1. Jason Wilkins 2.Kevin Oates 3. Jeremy Pilkerton 4. Randy Wilkins 5. Ricky Feltner 6. Terry Leach 7. Charlie Good 8. Jeff Wilkins 9. TJ Collins 10. William Boyce 11.Chris Mowery 12. Greg Carrico 13. Alan Dice (DNS)