"Spence Leads the Way for Winchester Fifth"
"Stoner Rocks for First Crate Win"
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- Defending track champion and current Late Model point leader JT Spence crushed the field to score his 5th win of the season in last Saturday nights 35-lap "Ninninger's Victory in the Valley" Late Model feature. The win for Spence, worth $3000, came in his trusty Greg Gunter owned Rocket no.91 and was the Winchester native's 6th overall feature win of 2015.
Jason Covert and Spence drew the front row for the start, and after two attempts to get the race started, the third time was the charm with Spence darting into the race lead as the mob raced into turn one. Spence would go on to lead all 35-circuits but the action behind him was intense. Jason Covert, Kyle Hardy, Kenny Moreland and Mark Pettyjohn all waged hand to hand combat for second through fifth and would eventually finish in that order as Spence had built up an insurmountable lead and would take the win by nearly a straightaway at the finish. "We got our buts whipped by the Outlaw's here last week, so we took this car home, and changed a bunch of stuff on it and it was the best car I've had here all season." Spence reflected in the Winchester victory lane. "The track got pretty narrow tonight and it was a matter of getting to the front first and we were able to get it done." Spence was quick to praise his car owner Greg Gunter for the dominating win. "Greg gives us what we need to go fast." Spence stated. "Greg always has a smile on his face no matter where we finish and he's become more of a friend than car owner, it's an honor to drive his cars."
With his runner-up performance, Jason Covert was crowned the "Victory in the Valley" champion of the four-race mini series sponsored by Glen Ninninger. "JT did a nice job tonight." Said Covert. "He got to the front first and thats what it'a all about these days. I just want to thank Glen for sponsoring this series and all that he does for our sport." Taking heat race wins over the 20-car field was Covert and Spence.
Transton Stoner drove the race of his career to score his first-ever Winchester feature win in the 20-lap RUSH Crate Late Model event. Stoner, who lined-up fourth for the start, wrestled the race lead from Scott Merryman on the seventh lap and would then have to survive a late race surge from three-time class winner Darin Henderson to score the break-through win abaord his BRC Lazer no.M14. "We've been racing these cars since 2010 and this is our first win." Said Stoner. "I saw the 22 of Henderson on the scoreboard and I knew we'd have our hands full holding him off, but we were able to do it and I just want to thank everyone who helped us finally get here." Rob Nichols, Reese Masiello and 10th-starting Matt Tarbox completed the top-five. Heats for the 19 entries went to Masiello and Nichols.
In support class action Mike Franklin rolled to his 15th win of the season in the 15-lap Pure Stock feature, Dylan Rutherford drove to his 7th win of 2015 in the 15-lap Enduro Stock main, Dustin Grimm took the Lawn Mower feature and Charlie Good scored his first-ever feature win in the nightcap 15-lap U-Car event.
Late Model feature finish
1. JT Spence 2. Jason Covert 3. Kyle Hardy 4. Kenny Moreland 5. Mark Pettyjohn 6. Dale Hollidge 7. Tom Decker Jr. 8. Allan Brannon 9. Brian Wright 10. Les Hare 11. Chris Fletcher 12. Tommy Armel 13. Tom Decker III 14. Walter Crouch 15. Jacob Burdette 16. Carl Grady 17. Mike Steck 18. Frankie Helmick 19. CS Fitzgerald 20. Jason Miller
RUSH Crate Late Model feature finish
1. Transton Stoner 2. Darin Henderson 3. Rob Nichols 4. Reese Masiello 5.Matt Tarbox 6.Richard Hawkins 7. Jennae Piper 8. Tanner Kerr 9. Scott Sweeney 10. Timmy Booth 11. Dave Friedrich 12. Kris Eaton 13. Kevin Palmer 14. Steve Lowery 15. Travis Carroll 16. Scott Merryman 17. Joe Hall 18. Walter Nichols 19. Brian Lederhouse
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Mike Franklin 2. Brian Luttrell 3. Chris Sumption 4. Jerry Jenkins Jr. 5. Tony Catlett 6. Mike Raleigh 7. Sam Crouch 8. Jeremy Tinsman 9. Chuck Bowie
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. Dylan Rutherford 2. Allen Jones 3. Mark Vegh 4. William Crook 5. Ray Priest 6. Paul Jones 7. Dalton Dillman
U-Car feature finish
1. Charlie Good 2. Jason Wilkins 3. Greg Carrico 4. Jeff Wilkins 5.Terry Leach 6. Randy Wilkins 7. Alan Dice 8. Ricky Runion 9. TJ Collins 10.Ricky Feltner