"Ross is "The Boss" in Winchester Late Model Main"
"Hulson in Modifieds, Brannon Doubles in RUSH Crates"
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- Georgetown Delaware's Ross Robinson took top honors in last Saturday nights 30-lap Late Model headliner at Winchester Speedway. The win for Robinson, worth $2000, came in his Capital Race Cars no.7R and made him the first repeat winner in the three races run for the class this season.
Defending Winchester champion Dale Hollidge and Ross Robinson made up the front row for the start with Robinson surging into the race lead as the field launched into turn one. Hollidge chased Robinson for the first 24-laps before Ronnie DeHaven Jr. secured the spot on the following circuit. DeHaven gave Robinson a run for his money, but Robinson was on a rail and would take the win by five car lengths at the drop of the checkered flag. "I wasn't sure how close those guys were to me back there, so I just ran as hard as I could." Ross stated in victory lane. "This is without a doubt the best race car I've ever had and were hoping to have a big season." Ross was quick to point out the tire selection that propelled him to the win. "The right rear tire on this car has earned us $4000." Ross remarked. "This is the same tire we won with on opening day, so I'd say we got our money's worth out of it." Hollidge settled for third with Walter Crouch and Glenn Elliott completing the top-five. Heats went to Robinson and Hollidge.
Allen Brannon drove to his second consecutive win in the 20-lap RUSH Crate Late Model main. Brannon, who lined up 7th for the start, took the lead from Tyler Hoy on the 10th lap and would hold off defending track champion Logan Robesron to score the win aboard his BRC Lazer no.30. "It's always nice to win no matter what class it is." Said Allen. "This car was working pretty good tonight and the track just came to us and we were able to get another win." Tyler Hoy posted a career best taking third with Transtan Stoner and Kris Eaton rounding out the top-five. Heats went to Brannon and Mike Franklin.
The Mid-Atlantic Modified series contested their first Winchester event of the season with veteran Rick Hulson scoring the win. Hulson earned the pole for the start of the event and would pace all 20-circuits over eventual runner up Brad Kling. "I just want to thank Winchester Speedway for having us." Rick stated post race. "It's great to win the first time here and we'll be back for all the Modified shows the rest of the season." Vic Vandergrift, James Sparks and Mike Corbin trailed Hulson at the finish. Heats went to Alyssa Rowe, Brad Kling and Rick Hulson.
In support class action defending track champion Chris Sumption rolled to his third win of the season in the 15-lap Pure Stock feature, Ricky Feltner won for the second time in 2017 in the 15-lap Enduro Stock main with Chad Brill scoring his first career Winchester feature win in the thrilling 15-lap U-Car nightcap.
Late Model feature finish
1. Ross Robinson 2. Ronnie DeHaven Jr. 3. Dale Hollidge 4. Walter Crouch 5. Glenn Elliott 6. Greg Roberson 7. Cody Gray 8. Scott Merryman 9. Tommy Armel 10.Charlie Schaffer 11. Kris Holliday 12. Buddy Wilson 13. Jonathan DeHaven 14. Mike Steck 15. Bubby Dillman 16. Justin Steele (DNS)
RUSH Crate Late Model feature finish
1. Allen Brannon 2. Logan Roberson 3. Tyler Hoy 4. Transtan Stoner 5. Kris Eaton 6. Steve Lowery 7. Devin Brannon 8. Jacob Piper 9. Chad Click 10. Dakota Riggleman 11. Levi Crowl 12. Richard Hawkins 13. Scott Sweeney 14. Mike Franklin
Modified feature finish
1. Rick Hulson 2. Brad Kling 3. Vic Vandergrift 4. James Sparks 5. Mike Corbin 6. BJ Mongold 7. Alyssa Rowe 8. Mark Jones 9. Rich Goodman 10. Josh Roberson 11. Keith Reid 12. Ray Kable 13. Justin Cullum 14. Haley Kaiser 15. Ernie Shirley 16. Vigi Zucolotto 17. Brian Green 18. Ray Ciccarelli DNS- Jimmy Jesmer, Chris Fletcher, Hunter Nester
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Chris Sumption 2. Rob Nichols 3. Tony Catlett 4. Brandon Lowery DNS-Sam Crouch
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. Ricky Feltner 2. Tom Caravello 3. Dylan Rutherford 4. Mark Vegh 5. Paul Jones 6. Chet Morris 7. Dalton Dillman DNS-Allen Jones
U-Car feature finish
1. Chad Brill 2. Jeff Wilkins 3. Justin Bowley 4. Austin Nichols 5. Gene Wilson 6. Jacob Lewis 7. Allen Griffith 8. Randy Wilkins 9. Larry Lamb 10. Terry Kave 11. Mike Griffith 12. TJ Collins 13. Branson Woodward 14. Jason Wilkins 15. Kevin Woodward 16. Robert Wilson DNS-Rick Bowman