"Anderson Closes Winchester Season With Fall Classic Victory"
"Weaver Top-Gun in Limited Late Models"
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- Bunker Hill West Va.'s Andy Anderson drove to his first Late Model feature win of the 2014 season in last Saturday nights 45-lap "Gunter's Honey Fall Classic" at Winchester Speedway. Anderson's win, worth a hefty $5000 pay day, made the 1998 track champion the 13th and final different winner at the track this season.
Jason Covert and Jason Miller made-up the front-row for the start of the event. After three-attempts to get the feature underway, the field was forced to go single-file for the start, with Covert assuming the race lead as the field was finally able to get a clean start. Covert's lead would only last two-laps as third-starting Andy Anderson swept by Covert coming off turn-four to become the new leader on lap-three. Anderson and Covert swapped sheet metal over the next few laps before Anderson got away to a healthy lead. A lap-35 caution bunched the field up on Anderson's back bumper and when the race went back green, Covert and Anderson were left to settle the event. Anderson, utilizing the low-line and Covert up top, battled furiously for the final 10-laps with Anderson coming home with the hard-fought win. "My hats off to Jason Covert." A happy Anderson stated in Winchester's victory lane. "I know we got together there a few times during the race but it was just hard racing out there tonight and I knew he'd race me clean. That was some intense racing." Heavy Friday rain produced a lightning fast surface for Saturday's event. "Tonight was one of those nights where you didn't have to worry with tires or anything." Said Anderson. "Everyone had on just about the same thing and it was all about getting up on the wheel. I just want to thank Jack Bland for giving me the chance to drive his car this season and I'm really happy to get this win for him and all the people who help with this deal." Kenny Pettyjohn was third, Nick Dickson was solid in fourth with Jason Miller rounding out the top-five. Heats for the 23-cars entered went to Anderson, Pettyjohn and Miller.
Justin Weaver scored his first Winchester feature win in the 20-lap Limited Late Model headliner. Weaver, who lined up second for the start, darted into the race lead on lap-one and would lead all 20-circuits to post the win over Kyle Lee. "We came-up a bit short here at the National's a few weeks back and it feels really good to finally get a win here at Winchester." The 2014 Hagerstown Late Model Sportsman champion stated. "I knew we had a good car and a good starting spot so it was up to me to get it done, and here we are." Bruce Kane was third, 2014 Winchester champion Scott Palmer took fourth with Brandon Long posting a career-best Winchester finish in fifth. Heats went to Kyle Lee and Weaver.
In support class action, 2014 Winchester track champion Mike Franklin rolled to his 10th win of the season in the 15-lap Pure Stock feature, Allen Whitt Jr. drove to his first checkered flag of the season in the 15-lap Four-Cylinder main, Mark Pollard nailed-down the 15-lap U-Car contest and Dylan Rutherford closed-out the season with his win in the nightcap 15-lap Enduro Stock feature.
Late Model feature finish
1. Andy Anderson 2. Jason Covert 3. Kenny Pettyjohn 4. Nick Dickson 5. Jason Miller 6. Dale Hollidge 7. Kenny Moreland 8. Alan Brannon 9. Gary Stuhler 10. Mark Pettyjohn 11. CS Fitzgerald 12. Barry Miller 13. Tony Crim 14. Jamie Lathroum 15. Brad Ritter 16. JT Spence 17. Stevie Long 18. Tommy Armel 19. Glen Elliott 20. Rob Nichols 21. Gregg Satterlee 22. Kerry King Jr. 23. Keith Jackson
Limited Late Model feature finish
1. Justin Weaver 2. Kyle Lee 3. Bruce Kane 4. Scott Palmer 5. Brandon Long 6. Rodney Walls 7. Transton Stoner 8. Jimmy Richards 9. Keith Walls 10. Kevin Deremer 11. Dave Friedrich 12. Scott Sweeney 13. David Kaiser
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Mike Franklin 2. Mike Bennett 3. Keith Koontz 4. Terry Staton 5. Barry Williams 6. Mike Grady Jr. 7. Chuck Bowie 8. Jerry Jenkins Jr. 9. Jeremy Tinsman 10. Tony Catlett
Four-Cylinder feature finish
1. Allen Whitt Jr. 2. Justin Hottle 3. Ethan Ours 4. Roger Whitlock 5. Cody Kershner 6. Billy Sonner 7. Greg Gunter
U-Car feature finish
1. Mark Pollard 2. Charlie Good 3. Jacob Whitt 4. Jeff Wilkins 5. Theo Funk 6. Steve Fadeley 7. DJ Fadeley 8. Randy Wilkins 9. Alan Dice 10. Kevin Oates 11. Joe Yablonski
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. Dylan Rutherford 2. Jamie Mills 3. Rodney Miner 4. Allen Jones 5. Dwayne Snyder 6. Danny Holmes 7. Dalton Dillman