“Weaver Cruises to Limited Late Model First Saturday at Winchester”
“Whitt Top Dog in Mark Digges Four-Cylinder Memorial”
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- Williamsport Md.’s Justin Weaver scored his first feature win of the season in last Saturday nights 20-lap Limited late Model headliner at Winchester Speedway. The win for Weaver, was his 2nd career Winchester feature triumph, and made him the 5th different winner at the track this season.
Paul Cursey and Justin Weaver made up the front-row for the start of the event with Weaver darting into the race lead as the field raced off turn-two. As Weaver settled in, Cursey followed Weaver for 17-laps, but was unable to make a bid at the lead. As Weaver and Cursey paced the field, 14th starting Keith Jackson was on the move as he slid into 3rd on lap-16. Jackson continued his run to the front as he got by Cursey on lap-18, but he would fall short at the finish as Weaver was not to be denied as he would lead the distance green to checker. “There was talk all week that Keith would be driving Bruce Kane’s car here tonight and I was really looking forward to it.” Weaver stated in Winchester’s victory lane. “I saw Keith was in second there with a few laps to go and I figured he must have been pretty good as far back as he started but it sure was fun racing with him here tonight.” Superb track conditions and timely caution periods were key to Weaver’s winning drive. “This track was great tonight.” Weaver stated. “Our car was so good up top tonight and as much as I hated to see those yellows it kind of cleared me of all the lapped cars and gave me a clean racetrack and we were able to get the win.” Cursey settled for third, Kyle Lear was fourth with Jonathon DeHaven rounding out the top-five. Heats for the 27 cars entered went to Richard Hawkins, Cursey and DeHaven with Keith Walls winning the consolation.
Defending Four-Cylinder track champion Tommy Whitt scored his third feature win of the season in the 25-lap “Mark Digges Memorial” and the $600 top-prize that went along with it. Whitt blasted into the race lead from his 4th starting spot and would survive five caution periods to lead every lap over eventual runner-up Allen Whitt Jr. Lester Riley came home third, Richard Gwizdale was fourth with Jeff Koller completing the top-five. Roger Whitlock and Ed Gageby scored heat race wins.
Jason Wilkins became the 7th different winner of the season with his first 2013 victory in the 15-lap U-Car feature. Wilkins vaulted from his 2nd starting spot to grab the race lead on the first lap and never looked back to take the win over Kevin Oates. Justin Katz was third, Allen Jones fourth with Jeff Wilkins rounding out the top-five. Heats went to Theo Funk, Bobby Perry and Jason Wilkins.
Dylan Rutherford became a 3-time Winchester winner with his win in the 15-lap Enduro Stock feature. Rutherford jumped into the race lead from his 2nd starting spot and drove off to quite a dominating win. Seventh-starting “Krazy” Kenny Thomas finished second, point leader Mark Vegh was third, Ray Priest took fourth with Gary Moreland Jr. filling the front-five. Heats went to Rutherford and Vegh.
Mike Corbin continued his domination of the Pure Stock ranks as he rolled to his 7th win of the season in the divisions 15-lap main. Point leader David Kaiser lead the first 13-laps before 9th starting Mike Corbin entered the picture. Corbin, who reached 2nd by lap-12, swept by Kaiser to take the race lead on lap-14 and would lead the final 2-circuits to post the win. Kaiser held on for second, Buddy Wilson was third, 12th starting Mike Franklin took fourth with Craig Parrill rounding out the top-five. Heats went to Kaiser and Brandon Churchey.
Limited late Model feature finish
1. Justin Weaver 2. Keith Jackson 3. Paul Cursey 4. Kyle Lear 5. Jonathon DeHaven 6. Scott Palmer 7. James Lichliter 8. Richard Hawkins 9. Bubby Tharp Jr. 10. Robbie Emory 11. Rodney Walls 12. Walter Crouch 13. Brad Ritter 14. Kyle Lee 15. Kevin Deremer 16. James Carte 17. Travis Roach 18. Ernie Shirley 19. Jacob Burdette 20. Keith Walls 21. Mike Bennett 22. Walter Nichols 23. Jason Smith 24. Richard Walls DNQ- Davis Lipscombe, Mitch Miller, Kris Holliday
Four Cylinder feature finish
1. Tommy Whitt 2. Allen Whitt Jr. 3. Lester Riley 4. Richard Gwizdale 5. Jeff Koller 6. Justin Hottle 7. Ed Gageby 8. Sonny Williamson 9. Rich Newcomer 10. Gary Newell 11. Roger Whitlock 12. William Riley 13. Darren Pingley 14. Jessi Boyce 15. Austin Stover 16. Sonny Hatzell
U-Car feature finish
1. Jason Wilkins 2. Kevin Oates 3. Justin Katz 4. Allen Jones 5. Jeff Wilkins 6. Brenda Alexander 7. Jacob Lewis 8. Josh Walker 9. Michael Pfaff 10. Joe Yablonski 11. Randy Wilkins 12. Brian Lederhouse 13. Mark Pollard 14. Austin Nichols 15. Theo Funk 16. Larry Lamb 17. Billy Ingle 18. Alan Dice 19. Scotty Gore 20. Larry Smith Jr. 21. Joey Strosnider 22. Kevin Pollard (DQ) 23. Steve Katz (DQ) 24. Bobby Perry (DQ) 25. Steve Fadeley (DQ)
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. Dylan Rutherford 2. “Krazy” Kenny Thomas 3. Mark Vegh 4. Ray Priest 5. Gary Moreland Jr. 6. Brian Wallace 7. Danny Holmes 8. Jonsey Jones 9. Jamie Mills 10. Michael Webb 11. Paul Jones 12. Robert Plaugher Sr. 13. Bill Hargett 14. Gary Moreland Sr. 15. Rodney Miner
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Mike Corbin 2. David Kaiser 3. Buddy Wilson 4. Mike Franklin 5. Craig Parrill 6. Kevin Koontz 7. Josh Wilkins 8. Mike Grady Jr. 9. Keith Koontz 10. Brandon Churchey 11. Terry Staton 12. Jeff Budwash 13. Greg Breeden 14. Reese Alley 15. Brian Luttrell 16. Jerry Jenkins Jr. 17. Ricky Edmonds