“Feathers Adds to Win Total with Saturday Winchester Victory”
“Walls Flag-to-Flag in LLM Challenge”
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- Winchester Va.’s Bo Feathers became the seventh-different winner of the season with his first feature win of 2013 in last Saturday nights 30-lap Late Model main at Winchester Speedway. The win for Feathers, worth $2000, was the five-time Late Model track champions 66th career feature win at the track.
Tony Crim and 5-time Winchester feature winner JT Spence brought the field to the initial green flag of the event. Spence made the most of his good fortune as he surged into the race lead as the field raced into turn-one. Spence appeared as he would cruise to win number-6 on the season as he built-up a healthy lead in the early going of the event, until disaster struck. As the field went yellow on lap-9, mechanical issues forced Spence to pit, ending his night. Third-starting Bo Feathers would become the new race leader as the field went back green on lap-10. Feathers and eventual runner-up Dale Hollidge waged hand-to-hand combat over the final 20-circuits, with Feathers prevailing at the finish. “That was a tough deal for JT.” Feathers stated in Winchester’s victory lane. “We timed him during the heats and he was four-tenth’s of a second faster than we were, he was the class of the field tonight, but I’ve lost races the same way.” Although elated with the win, Feathers has embraced his role as a “part-time” driver. “It’s always nice to win, because you never know when you’re going to get one again.” Feathers stated. “These days I have just as much fun working on the cars and watching my boy (Trever) race, I’m real proud of what he’s accomplished so far.” Kenny Moreland was third, 11th starting Kyle Hardy was fourth with point leader Trever Feathers rounding out the top-five. Heats for the 21-cars on hand went to Feathers, Spence and Crim.
Rodney Walls scored his second feature win of the season in the 25-lap Potomac/Winchester challenge event for the Limited Late Models, and the $1000 top-prize that came with it. Walls started on the pole and would lead all 25-laps to score the win. As Walls lead, 6th starting Andy Anderson reached 2nd by lap-20 and was closing in on Walls, but ran out of time and would settle for second-place money. Bubby Tharp Jr. was solid in third, Walter Crouch fourth, with 18th starting Jonathon DeHaven completing the top-five. Heats for the 32-cars entered went to Walls, Crouch, Tharp and Travis Stickley with Dominic DeFino winning the consolation.
Mike Grady Jr. scored his first win of the season in the 15-lap Pure Stock main. Grady started on the pole and would lead every lap to score his second-career Winchester feature win. Keith Koontz was second, Craig Parrill third, Buddy Wilson fourth with Bob Gladden taking fifth. Heats for the 22-cars went to Parrill and Mike Franklin.
Kevin Pollard continued his winning ways with his fourth win of the season in the 15-lap U-Car feature. Pollard started on the pole and would lead all-15-circuits to post his 8th overall feature win of 2013. Mark Pollard was second, Allen Jones took third, Steve Katz was fourth with point leader Brenda Alexander completing the top-five. Heats went to Alexander and Jason Wilkins.
Defending track champion “Krazy” Kenny Thomas scored his fourth win of the season in the 20-lap “Derek Riley memorial” Enduro Stock feature. Ray Priest lead the first 6-laps before Thomas became the new leader on lap-7. Thomas would then lead the distance to score his 14th career Winchester feature win. Priest held on for second, Dylan Rutherford was third, point leader Mark Vegh was fourth with Jonsey Jones rounding out the top-five. Heats went Jones and Priest.
Late Model feature finish
1. Bo Feathers 2. Dale Hollidge 3. Kenny Moreland 4. Kyle Hardy 5. Trever Feathers 6. CS Fitzgerald 7. Tommy Armel 8. Tanner Kerr 9. Ryan Hackett 10. Tony Crim 11. Jason Miller 12. Brad Omps 13. Travis Roach 14. Greg Elrod 15. Barry Miller 16. Kerry King 17. Tyler Castle 18. JT Spence 19. Jimmy Richards 20. Kerry King Jr. 21. Walter Nichols
Limited Late Model feature finish
1. Rodney Walls 2. Andy Anderson 3. Bubby Tharp Jr. 4. Walter Crouch 5. Jonathon DeHaven 6. Robby Emory 7. Paul Cursey 8. Mitch Miller 9. Chad Myers 10. Tyler Emory 11. Kyle Lee 12. Scott Palmer 13. Kyle Lear 14. Dominic DeFino 15. Mike Walls 16. Jason Smith 17. Ronnie Dennis 18. Tim Shelton 19. Jacob Burdette 20. Travis Carroll 21. Brad Ritter 22. Travis Stickley 23. Keith Walls 24. Paul McGinley DNQ- Richard Hawkins, Scott Tessman, Kevin Deremer, James Carte, Derrick Quade, Terry Flaherty, Mike Bennett, Jimmy Jessmer Jr.
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Mike Grady Jr. 2. Keith Koontz 3. Craig Parrill 4. Buddy Wilson 5. Bob Gladden 6. Terry Staton 7. Mike Corbin 8. Mike Franklin 9. David Kaiser 10. Troy Kassiris 11. Jeff Budwash 12. Josh Wilkins 13. Mike Raleigh 14. Brian Luttrell 15. Bill Pifer 16. Chuck Bowie 17. Greg Breeden 18. Reese Alley 19. Michael Carter 20. Kevin Koontz 21. Dave Mullenax 22. Carl Biddle
U-Car feature finish
1. Kevin Pollard 2. Mark Pollard 3. Allen Jones 4. Steve Katz 5. Brenda Alexander 6. Jason Wilkins 7. Steve Fadeley 8. Michael Webb 9. Larry Lamb 10. Gary Wilson 11. Theo Funk 12. Jeff Wilkins 13. Alan Dice 14. Randy Wilkins 15. Jacob Lewis 16. Josh Walker 17. Joe Yablonski 18. Ricky Runion 19. Justin Katz 20. Michael Pfaff 21. Terry Leach 22. Austin Nichols
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. “Krazy” Kenny Thomas 2. Ray Priest 3. Dylan Rutherford 4. Mark Vegh 5. Jonsey Jones 6. Danny Holmes 7. Brian Wallace 8. Paul Jones 9. Bill Hargett 10. Gary Moreland Jr. 11. Robert Plaugher Sr. 12. Gary Moreland Sr. 13. Rodney Minor